-
August 12th, 2003, 11:53 AM
#1
Inactive Member
I am just about to build a new home loudspeaker.The low frequency part will take a 416 b in an open baffle cabinet and the high frequency part is for a 288 k with an according Horn.
I would like to know if the new fibreglass MANTARAY horn 594B would be suitable for this purpose.
I will use it in my living room which is about 24m2 .If you have any other recommendation on this matter I would appreciate your opinion.
-
August 13th, 2003, 01:20 AM
#2
Inactive Member
Lunes,
All horns are a compromise of some sort. The MRII series mantarays have a short throat, so the apparent apex problem is minimized, compared to the large format series where the throat is a foot long or more! I agree with Todd, the multicells are unsurpassed in the lower midrange. But they have a problem with comb filtering in the highs, which can be very annoying in home Hi Fi. I would start with the mantaray, they don't have much collector appeal and are cheap. If you don't like them, then pay more for some 1005's.
-
August 13th, 2003, 03:04 AM
#3
HB Forum Owner
The MRII594 MANTARAY horn is well suited to the 288 - it all depends on what you are trying to do as to whether this would be a good choice for you.
If you are looking to crossover at 500 Hz, the MRII594 would work well.
So would the 511B.
So would the 1005B multicellular horn.
So - what are the differences?
* The 1005B multicell loads VERY nicely at the lower frequencies, but does beam a bit in the upper-upper range, although the 288 can't really get that high, so it doesn't really matter.
* The 511B does, too, but it does beam (narrow) more in the upper regions. It also tends to ring when the metal gets excited when being played.
* The MRII594, while it does NOT beam like the other two, DOES exhibit a problem with apparent axis localizing that they do not. This is a shift in the apparent source location of the sound to the listener - it shifts with frequency in ALL constant-directivity horns, no matter who makes them.
If it were ME, I would choose wither the 1005B or the 311-90, which is the BEST sounding of all of the sectoral horns I've ever heard.
If you choose to go with the MRII594, try eBay - you can usually get them for a fraction of what they cost new, and they don't wear out. So - why pay for NEW, when you can get JUST AS GOOD for WAY less?
Please Note: MANTARAY is a trademark of the Iconic Manufacturing Company.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks